Simon Mügge has a strong patent expertise from the German IPR field as well as extensive specialized expertise in protecting innovations related to life sciences and chemistry innovations since 2007.
Simon has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting applications before the European Patent Office (EPO) and the German Patent and Trademark Office. In addition, he has special knowledge and experience in post-grant opposition and appeal proceedings. He has successfully represented his clients in both defensive and offensive roles in these challenging patent disputes and IP infringement cases between competing companies.
Through his patent attorney career, Simon has broadly protected innovations in many applications in the life sciences and organic and inorganic chemistry. His patent clients include a wide range of start-ups and SMEs, as well as global corporations, universities and research institutes. He is well aware of the different IPR needs and strategies of the scientific world and companies of all sizes. The chemical, pharmaceutical, bio fuel, food and animal feed, detergent and cosmetics industries are examples of familiar client industries.
Simon holds a doctorate in biochemistry from Bielefeld University, specializing in immunology. He has a strong scientific background and twelve years of experience as a patent attorney in Germany before transferring to Kolster in November 2019.
Simon Mügge was awarded the Managing IP ‘Rising Star’ award in 2018 and 2019.
- Analysing and evaluating of inventions, novelty searches
- Patenting process from drafting the patent application to its granting in Europe, German and international markets
- IP-strategies and patent lifecycle management, expert analyses on the scope of protection of patents, prior art assessments
- Opposition and appeal procedures in European patent office (EPO) and the German Patent and Trademark Office
- Monitoring competitors, freedom to operate analyses, patent landscapes
- IP conflict management, patent infringements and infringement statements, nullity actions
- Employee inventions
- Life sciences, biotech, biochemistry
- Vaccines, therapeutic antibodies, antibiotics
- Immunology, oncology, neurology
- Therapeutic and non-therapeutic methods
- Bio-catalyzed processes, fermentation processes
- Genetics, proteomics, transgenic plants, stem cells
- Analytic, diagnostic, and screening processes
- Enzymes (food, detergents, bio-fuel production)
- Food chemistry, animal nutrition
- Customer care products, cosmetics
- Green technology
- Consumer goods
- Life sciences
- Public services
- Health care
- High tech
- Natural resources
- Pharmaceuticals & medical products
- Utilities / cleantech
IPR sector memberships
- epi – Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office
- Chamber of German Patent Attorneys (Patentanwaltskammer)
- FICPI – International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
Associate Partner, German & European Patent Attorney, European Trademark and Design Attorney
+358 40 920 8814